BYOB: Be Your Own Boss
This autumn The Shortcut is going to inaugurate a new 3 weeks long training program called BYOB – Be Your Own Boss (9th – 27th November 2020), promoting entrepreneurship within the Finnish startup ecosystem. The program’s goal is to give participants the fundamental tools in order to create a viable company; BYOB will be divided into workshops covering a broad range of disciplines, allowing the participants to develop their business idea, put into practice the teachings, and navigate the ecosystem. So, what are you waiting for? Join us!
- What kind of information do I need to fill in the application?
The application questions include information about your business idea, future goals, motivation, and professional background. They are important to us because they give us the chance to get to know you better!
- Who can apply?
Anyone can apply to BE YOUR OWN BOSS. If you want to become an entrepreneur, you have a business idea in mind, you are determined and deeply desire to create your own business, you are who we are looking for!
Please note that BYOB works best for individuals. We do not accept teams.
- What are the selection criteria?
- You strongly believe that entrepreneurship is the best way for you to reach your goals.
- You have a business idea.
- You have a plan to register a company.
- You are ready to dedicate a significant amount of time to your venture and attend a 3-week program that will support you get there (~ Monday to Friday, from 10.00 to 15.30).
- How many participants are selected?
Up to 30 participants will be selected. To ensure the best quality and program outcomes, we select only individuals that we believe will benefit the most from BYOB.
- Do I need to know the basics of startups or investing beforehand?
It is nice to have some knowledge about the startup world, but it is not mandatory. You will have the chance to experience it yourself through the program, so don’t worry!
- Is the program going to be held online or in person? Is Covid-19 going to affect BYOB?
The program is designed as a “hybrid” model – some of the workshops will be held online, but there will also be some workshops/activities taking place “offline” at Maria01 (in safety!). This will help you get to know the other participants and benefit from face-to-face interaction with coaches and mentors.
However, due to the uncertainty of the pandemic situation, there might be some changes if the circumstances won’t be considered safe anymore. This will not affect the effectiveness and efficiency of the program.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- What is the enrollment process like?
The selection process of BYOB includes 2 rounds:
- 1st round: Online application.
- 2nd round: Online interview with The Shortcut.
- What is the application timeline?
- The online application opens on 1st September and ends on 16th October.
- The selected participants will receive the interview invitation at the latest by 16th October.
- The online interview takes place between 19th to 23rd October.
- The final decision will be announced on 26th October.
- How can I apply?
You can apply by filling up the following form: https://forms.gle/8UrFBb9bqTNqYbfG6
- How will I find out if I am selected?
For each round, you will receive an email from The Shortcut informing whether you will proceed.
The final announcement will be made on 26th October.
- Can I postpone my participation or attend part-time?
Unfortunately, you cannot postpone nor attend part-time. If for any reason you can no longer participate, please contact us and we’ll cancel your place. We require full participation from attendees throughout the entire course.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- What is the language used in the program?
English is the official language used in BYOB.
- What does the program content include?
The program will help you develop the fundamental skills needed to create a viable company.
It will be divided into workshops, which will be covering a broad range of disciplines: problem & idea validation, business & customer development, sales & funding, financial & legal aspects, as well as branding & marketing. Besides the workshops, you will be given hands-on assignments, which will help you to develop your business idea, put into practice the teachings, and navigate the ecosystem.
- How long is the program?
The program lasts for 15 working days, from 9th to 27th November 2020. The workshops will be held 3 days a week (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday), approximately 5 hours a day (10-15.30). However, keep in mind that you will need some extra time each week, in order to complete tasks and develop your project.
- Is there any fee for the program?
No, BYOB is totally free for all participants.
- Can I form a team with other participants during the program if we have similar business ideas?
Yes, team formation can happen naturally during the program if the participants wish to.
- What can I expect from BYOB?
- At the end of the program, you will have a ready-to-go MVP and you will get the opportunity to set up your own company (in less than a month!)
- Chance to pitch the idea to a wide audience. Get critical feedback and take your project to the next level.
- You will have the possibility to meet investors and people with the same mindset.
- Gain a better understanding of the Finnish startup ecosystem and you will receive advice and guidance from its top entrepreneurs.
- Why should I choose BYOB over other programs?
- We are the biggest talent accelerator in the Nordics.
- We have a wide network and are well-connected to the tech startup ecosystem in Finland and you will get to develop your business as well as connect with the best doers in the field.
- It is a holistic program. BYOB will cover different topics, such as: idea and problem validation, business and customer development, value proposition and sales, marketing and growth hacking, as well as financial and legal aspects.
- BYOB is completely free.
- How can I find out more about the program?
You can always contact our program manager at email@example.com